COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (November 1, 2001) – The Director of Development
for USA Judo, Mr. Tommy Dyer, has announced the team that will represent the
USA in the 2001 Pan American Judo Union Senior Championships, to be held in
Cordoba, Argentina on November 19th & 20th. Team members were selected from
the #1 ranked player in each weight category at the conclusion of the IMCA
America U.S. Open Judo Championships, held in Las Vegas, Nevada last month.
Competition will be held in 8 male and 8 female weight categories plus an
Open Category. The seven heaviest weight categories are the same as those
contested in the Olympic Games. Athletes who place in the top 3 in these
categories earn points toward qualification for the 2004 Olympic Team.
Participation in the Olympic Games is dependent on a quota allotted to each
Continental Judo Union and the actual participants from each country must
qualify based on their performance in designated tournaments. Although all
the qualifying tournaments and procedures are not yet finalized, this
tournament has been designated as the first Olympic qualifying event for the
Pan American Judo Union. Competition will be held on Monday November 19th
for the Men’s +100 kg, -100 kg, 66 kg, 60 kg, & 55 kg categories and the
Women:’s +78 kg, – 78 kg, 52 kg, 48 kg, & 44 kg categories. On Tuesday
November 20th, the Men’s 90 kg, 81 kg, 73 kg, & Open categories and the
Women’s 70 kg, 63 kg, 57 kg, & Open categories will compete.
For additional information, contact John Miller; 303-236-5752; fax
Men’s Team (Category, Hometown, Judo Club):
– 55 kg Hiram Cruz, Jackson, Florida, RYU Judo Club
– 60 kg Taylor Takata, Colorado Springs, Colo., Oly Trng Center Judo
– 66 kg Alex Ottiano, Lawrence, Massacusetts, New York Athletic Club
– 73 kg Orlando Fuentes, Colorado Springs, Colo., Oly Trng Center
– 81 kg Reno Reser, Colorado Springs, Colo., Oly Trng Center Judo
– 90 kg Brian Olson, Boulder, Colo., Oly Trng Center and Boulder
-100 kg Ato Hand, Colorado Springs, Colo., Oly Trng Center Judo Squad
+100 kg Anthony Turner, Miami, Florida, Budokan Judo Club
Open Anthony Turner, Miami, Florida, Budokan Judo Club
Women’s Team (Category, Hometown, Judo Club):
– 44 kg Stephanie Hata, El Cerrito, Calif., East Bay Judo Institute
– 48 kg Christine Carrera, Colorado Springs, Colo., Oly Trng Center
– 52 kg Charlee Minkin, Colorado Springs, Colo., Oly Trng Center Judo
– 57 kg Telitha Ellis, Westfield , NJ, Cranford Judo Center
– 63 kg Grace Jividen-Chapman, Littleton, Colo., Oly Trng Center and
Hyland Hills Judo
– 70 kg Brigette Kubes, Ft. Worth, Texas, Ft. Worth Judo Club
– 78 kg Amy Tong, San Jose, Calif., San Jose State University
+ 78 kg Nanoushka St. Pre, Colorado Springs, Colo., Oly Trng Center
Head Coach: Ed Liddie, Colorado Springs, Colo.
Men’s Coach: Brett Barron, Burlingame, Calif.
Women’s Coach: Marisa Pedulla, Pittsburgh, Penna.
Manager: Eddie Arrazcaeta, Hialeah, Florida
Physician: Dr. Gary Berliner, Cumming, Georgia
Referee: Noboru Saito, Clawson, Michigan
Referee and Candidate for IJF-A referee license: Hector Estevez, Miami,